Saturday, July 13, 2013

Oil Pulling: A Natural Detox for Health

Oil pulling… um, what?

That was pretty much my reaction when I first heard about oil pulling. Someone in one of my doTERRA groups had posted asking if oil pulling could be considered as a natural alternative for mouth wash. Feeling a bit stupid for asking I commented asking what oil pulling was. I read the article they suggested, then Googled it and read more articles. I couldn't wait to try it. Luckily I use unrefined coconut oil for everything so I had a jar already.

I must say, it's wasn't as easy or fun as they made it sound. The oil felt funny in my mouth, I couldn't seem to suppress the urge to swallow, my jaw and cheeks hurt from trying to swish for 20 minutes and my kids kept asking me questions that I couldn't answer because I had a mouth full of oil. After I spit, rinsed and brushed my teeth I was amazed at how clean my mouth felt. That was enough motivation for me to do it again.

I like to flavor my oil pulling with doTERRA's oils. I have tried Wild Orange, Peppermint, Lemon and On Guard. (I doubt I will do the On Guard again unless I have a sore in my mouth because it was to much for me.) Most of the time I stick two peppermint beadlets in the spoon of coconut oil before swishing with it.

What is Oil Pulling?

It’s an alternative health method used in Ayurvedic medicine that is slowly making its way into Western society. It is done by simply swishing a tablespoon (or so) of unrefined oil around in your mouth for 10-20 minutes daily (preferably first thing in the morning), up to 3 times a day. The most common oils used are coconut, sunflower, sesame (the most traditional) and olive oils.  The oil is then spit out (DO NOT SWALLOW THE OIL), and the mouth is rinsed with water or salt water and the teeth are brushed.

Which oil should I use for oil pulling?

Sunflower, sesame and coconut are the most common, but many other oils have been used.  I prefer coconut oil.  I keep a jar on my counter that I use for all my health and beauty needs. Sesame, sunflower, olive, walnut, macadamia and coconut oils can be used. The best oils would be ones that are cold pressed and unrefined.  I have seen some references where people’s teeth took on a yellow tinge from using olive oil, so that probably wouldn’t be my first choice.

Why on earth would I do that?

It’s inexpensive, easy, natural and can treat, improve or completely cure a variety of ailments. There is a list below of ailments that oil pulling can help with. It probably isn't a complete list and I encourage you guys to do what I did and do a web search for oil pulling and read a bunch of articles. You should never make a decision about your health with out doing research. Oil pulling is safe for nursing and pregnant women, as it is a natural, topical detox method and is not processed by the body and therefore, doesn't cross the placenta or enter breastmilk. In fact,  You can even buy all the oils with food stamps!

Doesn’t putting a large amount of oil in your mouth make you want to gag, and doesn’t your mouth get sore from swishing?

When I first started doing this, it did feel a little weird.  I find the coconut oil easier to use than liquid oil (my coconut oil is solid or semi-solid most of the year).  I put a spoonful in my cheek and let it warm up and melt, and it gives me a minute or two to get used to that much oil in my mouth.  You can start with smaller amounts and work up to a tablespoon.

If swishing for 15-20 minutes is too much, start with 5-10 minutes and work up to a longer time period.  You don’t have swish constantly – you can take a break now and then.  Once you get used to it, it’s really not a big deal, but my cheeks were a bit sore at first.

How do you find time to do oil pulling for 20 minutes?

I usually oil pull first thing in the morning when I am checking my e-mail, cooking breakfast or doing yoga. (It takes some talent to do yoga and oil pull at the same time.) My kids have learned that in the morning if they get the response “mmmmm..hhmmm….hmmm…” that I am oil pulling and they should come back in a few minutes. Then I spit in the shower or toilet. Avoid the sink, as oil may build up over time and clog the plumbing, and do make sure you pull for as close to 20 minutes as you can so the oil is effectively broken down and you are getting the full benefits from the pulling.

What health benefits does Oil Pulling have?

It sounds like oil pulling does just about everything but cook you breakfast in the morning.  If you go to Oilpulling.com they list the following conditions on their “Diseases Cured” page as most frequently responding to oil pulling:
  • Acne
  • Allergies
  • Arthritis
  • Asthma
  • Back and Neck Pain
  • Bad Breath
  • Bronchitis
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Colitis
  • Crohn’s Disease
  • Constipation
  • Dental Cavities
  • Dermatitis
  • Diabetes
  • Eczema
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Hypertension
  • Insomnia
  • Migraine Headaches
  • Mucous Congestion
  • Peptic Ulcers
  • PMS
  • Periodontal Disease
  • Bleeding Gums
  • Sinusitis
  • Tooth Abscess
They also list a slew of others that may be helped.  The Coconut Oil Research Center also endorses oil pulling.

Personally, I’ve found that it makes my teeth feel smooth and clean and makes my mouth feel fresh. I have also noticed that my teeth look whiter than they did before I started.


So how does oil pulling work?

Swishing the oil around activates enzymes in our saliva that pick up bacteria and toxins lurking in our mouths, while the oil acts as a magnet, trapping the germy grossness into the oil. Which is why it is important to spit out the oil at the end, then rinse and brush afterwards. The skin in our mouths is very porous and there is a lot of blood flow. This is the reason behind why it heals so quickly, and is also one of the reasons that so many toxins can be drawn out (or in) through the mouth..

No comments:

Post a Comment